An educational institution afire with the Spirit of Communion
We form agents of positive change who creatively and collaboratively
respond to global challenges, through a Christian and holistic
In living out the ideals of St. Arnold Janssen, CHSM aims at the total formation of authentically Christian Filipinos who are:
Throughout a century of constant change, the College of the Holy Spirit has maintained its reputation as a bastion of tradition and a champion of values all the while fulfilling its promise of quality education.
The College of the Holy Spirit was borne from the vision of Archbishop Jeremias Harty who invited the Missionary Sisters Servants of the Holy Spirit to found a school dedicated to the Holy Spirit.
This vision materialized in 1913 with a small grade school for girls along Legarda St. called the Holy Ghost College.
By 1920, the Holy Ghost College expanded its operation to include high school students and opened up another site along Mendiola St. where it continues to stand today.
And in 1926, Holy Ghost College entered the tertiary level with a two-year Associate in Arts program. It wouldn’t take long after that before the college branched out into new disciplines. Despite interruptions brought about by World War II, Holy Ghost College had already produced distinguished alumni in the sectors of the liberal arts, law, education, science, fine arts, business and commerce, nutrition, and even music by the time the 1950s rolled along.
And with these expansion and diversification in the college level also came even greater pursuit of excellence.
Holy Spirit College, as a member of the Catholic Educational Association of the Philippines (CEAP), spearheaded the voluntary accreditation movement and became a founding member of the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges, and Universities (PAASCU) in 1957.
In 1965, Holy Spirit College transitioned to its present name of College of the Holy Spirit Manila (CHSM). Ten years later, the school linked up with its neighbors San Beda College, Centro Escolar University, and La Consolacion College to form the Mendiola Consortium.
Another ten years after that, CHSM migrated its Grade School and High School students to the School of the Holy Spirit in Quezon City where it remains today.
The 1990s saw CHSM establishing linkages and partnerships with other educational institutions abroad, allowing opportunities for students to study and gain experience in Japan, Switzerland, Australia, the United States, and other countries.
By the next decade, all this hard work in providing quality education for at least ten generations of Filipinas proved meritorious and fruitful as CHSM was granted Autonomous Status by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED). Not long after, boys were granted admission in the high school level and in certain collegiate programs, further expanding the college’s reach and giving a new generation of Filipinos the same quality education grounded on faith and values as many distinguished alumnae before them.
By the time that celebrated its centennial year in 2013, the school was already offering graduate programs and had already produced women who are leaders of commerce, public service, the arts, sciences, health, education, and even athletics. These movers and leaders became respected and celebrated in their fields not just for their competence and credibility but also for their character and compassion.
DR. LOURDES K. SAMSON — DEAN, COLLEGE AND GRADUATE SCHOOL
MS. IDA GRACE S. BAYLON — BASIC EDUCATION PRINCIPAL
MS. JOCELYN M. FLORES — MARKETING DEPARTMENT
MRS. ROSETTE E. NUERA, M.A.Ed — LIBRARY & INSTRUCTIONAL MEDIA CENTER
MS. SANDRA B. CABALLERO — GUIDANCE & ADMISSIONS CENTER
MR. REYNALDO D. CABALO — CAREER DEVELOPMENT & PLACEMENT CENTER
MS. DIANAFE A. CASTILLO — OFFICE OF STUDENT AFFAIRS
MS. FELICITAS R. VITO — CAMPUS & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
FR. ANGEL M. MAGADA, SVD — CHAPLAIN